Research & Consultancy
Main Areas of Research:
Research work is carried out in collaboration with research institutions and industry in the following fields:
- Production of Sustainable Materials from Bagasse;
- Investigation Into the Use of Sugarcane Bagasse for Producing Fibre-Based Composites;
- Investigation Into the Use of Vacoas Leaf Fibrous Materials for Commercial Applications;
- Development & Marketing of a Clothing Brand for a Small & Medium Enterprise in Mauritius;
- Investigating the Electrospinning of Extracts of Medicinal Plants for Wound Repair Applications;
- Design and Production of Nonwoven re-claimed fibre-based webs for noise damping & insulating applications;
- Development of biodegradable non-woven structure as a substitute for synthetic material in agriculture;
- Use of eco-friendly odour absorbing chemicals for domestic applications and textiles.
- Development of a Colour Recognition System for the Visually Impaired;
- Software Development for Surface Texture and Appearance of Fibrous Materials.
PUBLICATIONS IN JOURNALS/BOOKS
1. Ramsamy-Iranah S, Kistamah N., Supporting Local Craftmanship through Fashion, eBook Fashion and Its Multi-cultural Facets, Chapter 3, pg 311. Inter-Disciplinary Press, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2014. ISBN 978-1-84888-309-3
2. Robeck, J.,Kistamah,N.,Pattison, A.,Pattison,J., Ramsamy-Iranah,S.,Apparel Retailing in Mauritius: Framework and Review, International Journal of Trade and Commerce- IIARTC, Jan-June 2014,Vol.3(1).
3. Hes,L., Kistamah,N.,Effect of Anti-Felting Treatment on Thermal Comfort Properties of Selected Wool Fabrics in Wet State, Journal of Fiber Bioengineering and Informatics, 2013, 1-8.