The Student Work Experience Programme is designed to help University students bridge the gap between academic education and work skills. It is a three-way partnership between the university, the participating organisation, and the student. All parties in the relationship assume definite responsibilities, perform specific functions and achieve benefits as a result of this involvement
SWEP has the following objectives:
- To provide opportunities for students to apply knowledge and skills acquired at the university
- To enable students to develop new skills in leadership, supervisory and administrative roles
- To expand students’ opportunities for learning from mentors represented by professionals in organisations
- To provide students with an opportunity for self-assessment in respect of their strengths, weaknesses and personal standards; and
- To develop the liaison between the three parties, that is the university, the organisations and the students.